Monday, November 3, 2008

Preparation for India


It's one in the morning (well technically 2 since daylight savings just happened) and I'm unable to sleep thinking about all the preparations I need to do during these last few days before I take off. I have four more nights to sleep in my own bed before heading off and one of the most exciting yet intimidating adventures thus far, India. We leave Thursday afternoon and even though it's been booked for several months my lifestyle of procrastination haunts me, "I need one more week to prepare," even though I know that in one more week I'd be no less prepared.

I'm going with my great friend Rebecca whom I met in passing about two years ago and for the last year or so have gotten to know very well (maybe a little too well, hahah). As some of you may know, traveling with a companion can be great or the worst thing ever. I imagine we'll have times of opposition and annoyance but I have no doubt we'll get through it (we are after all both social workers devoted to rising above). Because she too is a procrastinator like myself, we submitted our travel visas with no time to spare. After both of us having initial problems with the process, they are supposed to be here on Tuesday (if not, starting this blog will be in vain).

Since I'm not sure how often we'll be around internet cafes I thought this would be a good way to stay in touch and let you all enjoy our adventure with us. Please comment and say hi so I have something to look forward to when I do finally get to a computer. I unfortunately won't have time to email everyone individually about my life in India so this is the best way to let you know I am safe and hopefully make you jealous :)

To Do List: Pick up malaria pills, sleeping pills, vitamins, anti-diarrhea meds (ya I gross but necessary), pad lock, possible smaller back-pack, deodorant (yes I still want to prevent body odor even if everyone else chooses not to), lotion, underwear, hmmm I'll keep adding to this I'm sure.

7 comments:

  1. You guys are going to have the best time ever. What an amazing adventure! Yay for getting out in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im thrilled for you. Im also so glad you started this blog. I will totally be leaving you comments. Post as often as you can. I will miss you while you're gone but you're going to have the time of your life. Enjoy every minute.

    Did you by chance get the video I sent you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course I got your video, I voted last week though so I'm not taking credit for any losing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Rachel - I'm excited about your trip and hope you have a fun and SAFE one. Please get some mace or a stun gun once you get over there .... easier to get one over there then to go through airport security ... love, Uncle Gregg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well dangit, i tried to be the first one but it didn't work. Anyway I wish I could go with you but what would you do with a mommy tagging behind. I love you and will be with you every step of the way (in my heart). I miss you already. Be smart and be safe and enjoy. I wish I had your faith and your courage. I'm glad you are not afraid. I have learned through you not to be afraid of the adventures awaiting us in the world! Maybe I'll venture out one day. Love and safety, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Rachel- I am so glad you're blogging this trip. I am a bit sad that I am not one of your travel companions. It just wasn't meant to be this time. Anyway, I look forward to hearing of all your adventures and seeing all your amazing pictures. Travel safely, and Enjoy yourself! ~Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Rachel and Rebecca,
    WOW, my heart is doing flip flops looking at the pictures and reading your blogs. Stay safe and enjoy. What a time to travel. I am wondering if people are liking us a bit more since we voted Barack Obama for President.
    Way to pass the exam!

    Love to you both,
    Jill

    ReplyDelete