Monday, August 31, 2009

The Trip

So the trip overall was amazing, just what I needed and was looking forward to. I've loved to fish ever since I was a little girl and went with my grandpa for the first time, so fishing for salmon in Alaska was a dream come true. We left Fairbanks at seven pm and arrived in Valdez around 2am. Even though I slept a few hours in the car it wasn't relaxing, lets just say the sleep was forced as opposed to wondering when we would wreck :) My plan of getting up early to fish changed when I saw it was 2am. The boys went out a few hours before us but said the fishing wasn't good and asked if we still wanted to go out. Uh ya!! So needles to say once we got on the boat the mood changed. The fish we were bringing in were enormous and we ended up catching five more, seven in all.

The view from the boat was amazing, clear blue waters, giant mountains and surrounded by glaciers. If there was a moment when we weren't catching fish all we had to do was look around because they were jumping out of the water everywhere.

The next morning started off the same, the boys had caught only two small fish and we joked around and told them to pick us up when they were ready to catch some fish. Well it turns out that was truly the case. After getting on the boat we caught twelve salmon in a matter of hours!!! I also saw a bald eagle flying around the trees and eventually land in a nest where another eagle waited, beautiful.


I was excited for the drive home because I had heard about what a beautiful drive it was but was unable to observe that on the way there due to the darkness. Truly is was beautiful, if you've never been to Alaska you're missing out. Prepare to to awed, it is truly the epitome of nature. Everywhere you look you see something that takes your breath away. We first stopped at a little creek that held salmon that were spawning while all around them others were coming to the end of their mission in life. It's a fascinating thing to watch (hard to see in the pictures, but fascinating). I also couldn't help but take some pictures of the beautiful mountains that surrounded the creek.




This is the Alaska version of Bridal Veil Falls and I must say that it kicks the Utah versions butt. It's enormous, in fact I had my picture taken in front of it but I ended up just looking like a spec so I didn't post that one.


Then we stopped at the famous Worthington glacier, you were able to hike up the glacier if you wanted but due to our seven hour ride home we opted just to take pictures. Overall it was a blast and I'm so so so happy that I'm on vacation, not sure I can come back :)







I've never seen these before so I took a picture, sea lice. Yep strange I know .

At one point we thought we had caught a fish but we ended up with this.... A starfish arm? Hmm not sure but it had a weird growth or entity on the bottom of it so we're still unsure.


Oh did I forget to mention the huge halibut that I caught??? Ha ha ha well I couldn't resist taking my picture by this in hopes that one day I will truly get to catch one of those.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Rachel! it's jessica...can't get my id to work. How long will you be in Alaska? The views are breathtaking, and the halibut is absolutely impressive. i honestly thought halibut were like a foot long. it's crazy to think that there are fish in the sea that huge! glad you are having a fun time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures Rachel! So next time you go to Alaska, I think I am coming with you. Seeing all your photos just takes me back 6 (how could it be that many?!?!) years to my time there. The fall colors look great. And it is fascinating to watch the Salmon go upstream. Alaska is a wonderful place. Can't wait to hear more! And eat the fish. :) I'll start now on clearing a spot in the freezer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jessica you silly nilly the halibut are not real, did you read the blog or just look at pictures ;) I come home the 11th, we should get together sometime after that. The scenery however is real and yes impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. what??? i did your blog really - quickly!! i thought you meant that you just didn't catch them! So halibut really aren't that big? lol!! :) as you can tell i don't know much about fish :) all right, how big are the fish in the sea then??

    ReplyDelete
  5. No they are that big but those are just ceramic :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Rachel...it is fun to follow your trip...looks like you are having a great adventure. I asked our resident brain and Daniel said that was a starfish arm and that it will grow 4 new arms...cool huh. I have only been to coastal cities and never to Cindy's so really am motivated now that I see the fun you have had. Maybe your mom and I can go sometime. xoxo Aunt Amber

    ReplyDelete