Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A day in a life in Ecuador


These are some pictures from our stroll in the "Old Town" area of Quito.




This was taken at the Conciertos Feria Internacional del Libro in Quito. I will hopefully upload a video when I'm able to get fast enough internet to do so.


So a few things I've learned here in Ecuador: If you think you hear the ice cream truck don't get too excited, it's actually the garbage truck letting everyone know they should bring their garbage out. Make sure you always know what it is you are eating, Cuy = Guinea pig (luckily I'm on a no meat at all no matter what diet here). If you wake up in the morning and it's sunny and nice, don't think that will last (it always rains at least once a day). If you are a breakfast person I hope you are good with eggs or wait should I say yoke? They serve the runny of runniest eggs. I've been sticking to toast and juice. Don't expect to sleep soundly, something will always wake you up whether it's the roosters, dogs, people, airplanes and most commonly car alarms ..... you won't be sleeping in. Ecuadorian food is very very very different than Mexican food or good food at all actually, I'm speaking for myself of course. They use US money in Ecuador which I didn't know before I came, nice actually. I found out where all the Sacajawea coins went - Here!!



All in all it's been fun checking out the culture and seeing the country. My stomach has been angry for the last several days but seems to be doing much better. I'm looking forward to heading south tomorrow and defrosting my bones. I am grateful today to live in the United States, I love the freedoms that I have and the ability to be and do whatever I want. I thankful to have four walls on my house and a toilet that flushes everything down that I need it to. I'm thankful for tissue, heaters, soft pillows, hot water, sunshine and of course my family and friends. Love you all very much :)

2 comments:

  1. They have some good food, you just have to know where to look. The ceviche is usually really good and the pan con chocolate is also tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know what you have till it's gone! Happy Thanksgiving, we are so blessed. I love you! Love, Mom

    p.s. Jimmy and Skyler I love you too!

    ReplyDelete