Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Mosquita Montanita


Taking a few days off and relaxing on the beach was quite pleasant. The town was small enough to walk in about 2o minutes and the beach was covered with all sorts of interesting finds. Lots of hippies transplanted there that were friendly until you didn't want to buy their over priced handi crafts, but interesting to watch and observe regardless.

The boys were brave enough to enjoy some boogie boarding but unfortunately I only strolled up and down the beach. It was overcast the whole time we were there but we were fortunate enough to not get any rain. The mosquitoes were in abundance there and Skyler is now proudly sporting around 50 bites (some good things you just can't get enough of), The above pictures is our beach and we were only about a 2 minute walk from the water. Our place was a little on the scary side and Travis and Adam were lucky enough to pick up some bed bug bites of some sort (I however was safe in my sleep sac).


Because I never made it in to the water I did some exploring along the rocks and was amazed at what great things I came across. It's incredible what you can see if you just hold still for a minute and observe (a lesson I must take back home with me). The sand crabs poked their heads out and scurried about, the birds searched for fish and the hermit crabs (my all time favorite) fed on the algae and cautiously darted back into their shells at the sign of any harm.



The pictures are again a little out of order but their were several murals and paintings throughout the town that were quite fun to look at. Not just in Montanitas but all throughout Ecuador (and other third world countries I've been to) the walls are lines with broken glass cemented in place so as to keep intruders out. Sort of an interesting concept but I suppose gives your petty thief a little more run for his money.






Check out the power lines, an electricians nightmare right? Walking under them is a little unnerving but not as much so as walking under them at night when hundreds of birds line them and you feel fortunate if you are able to dodge their bullets.


After a relaxing trip we jumped on a two and a half hour bus ride, then a 45 minute plane ride before arriving in the outskirts of Loja where we were greeted with a huge bus to take us an additional 45 minutes to the actual town of Loja. The plane ride was a bit on the scary side especially after landing and seeing the emergency team ready to go (apparently that is normal and they only have an accident every four years). Loja is a beautiful town and could quite possibly be our favorite yet. Tonight we arrived in Cuenca and tomorrow morning back to Guayaquil. From here on out it's quite chaotic but we will enjoy every second of it. More to come soon!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow Rachel! I love that picture of you and Skyler...you guys are seriously a beautiful couple. I thoroughly enjoyed catching up on your blog and your travels. I'm so happy you are able to have this experience. Keep posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great day. Glad to hear you had some alone time to just be and be still. That is always food for the soul. I love and miss you and wish I was there with you :) Be safe; don’t let the bed bugs bite and sleep tight!
    xoxo
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everything looks so exciting, wish I was as adventurous as you. I can't wait to see you. Love you, safe trip. What day again are you coming back, the 7th?

    xo Mom

    ReplyDelete